Does stopping breast feeding suddenly cause any complications?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
Hi doctor, I stopped feeding milk to my 8 months baby post resumed to office. If i stopped suddenly, will i do anything for myself. Will this affect myself later. pls advise.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) If you have to stop breast-feeding suddenly due to office work, your breasts may become full, sore and leak milk. It is called breast engorgement.

2) Most women experience only mild symptoms when they stop breast-feeding and DON'T require any kind of treatment.

3) Massaging breast, cold compresses and wearing a good support bra may help to reduce discomfort. You may require painkiller if there is excessive breast pain and I suggest you to consult with your doctor in that case.

4) It is advisable to stop breast-feeding gradually. Drop 1 feeding every 2 to 3 days and space out the rest. In a few days, drop another feeding and continue in this way. It will help to avoid painful breasts and reduce chances of getting a plugged duct or breast infection.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can write me in following address:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow-up: Does stopping breast feeding suddenly cause any complications? 23 hours later
Doctor, thanks for the answer.

In my case, i did not stop suddenly, i used to feed only at night before 10 days. Before a week i had some pain killer since i did not feed, then i stopped to feed completely. Moreover there is not discomfort post discontinue of feeding. Wanted to just check whether do i need to do anything if stop feeding.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

If you don't have any kind of problem after stopping breast-feeding, then you have NOTHING to worry much.

I suggest you to wear right breast support (cotton most), do light massage of your breast and maintain personal hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your understanding. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck and all the best.

Dr Soumen