Does squamous cell carcinoma lead to liver metastasis?

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: Knowing that a squamous cell carcinoma of the gallbladder is very rare, how could it metastasize to the liver? In a patient where squamous cell was found in both the gallbladder & liver.. and only 1% gallbladder cancers are squamous cell / only 31 primary squamous cell cases ever for the liver... doctors seem overly convinced the primary is elsewhere but there's no evidence of that...
Just wanted to know the "route" of mets for gallbladder -> liver ? I heard the gallbladder & liver have different epithelium so a gall to liver mets is very rare ?

Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Liver metastaseis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

Gallbladder carcinoma can involve the liver either by direct extension, hematogenous spread, or lymphatic metastasis, portal tract spread via the lymphatic or angiolymphatic system may be the main route by which gallbladder carcinomas metastasize to the liver

The metastases are not dependent from the nature of epithelium.
In general practice the metastases from the gallbladder to the liver are not rare.
Your understanding of what you read may not be right or you had not read on an authentic source.

Best regards
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 14 hours later

Thank you for the answer.

This is a case of squamous cell carcinoma that is found in both the liver and gallbladder. No other primary sources found in the body. And the cancer has glandular features and keratinization.

As a whole, is it a rare case overall? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Liver metastasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes it’s a rare case generally
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng