Does speech delay in a 9 month old infant a cause for worry?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi doc, my baby was delivered at 37 weeks of gestation. He completes 9 months on 2nd XXXXXXX He stands with support, crawls well & pis an active child. However, he only makes random noises/ sounds. I have read from the internet that by 9 months, baby calls mama/dada to any of the parent. My baby do get happy when he sees me& cries to be picked up by me, but he doesnot call me by any specific name/ sound. Should I be worried? what is the normal age for the baby to call mama/daada?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't get worried, get one screening hear test done

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
At 6-9 months baby usually speaks monosyllable that is ma, pa, bahot, da, ah-goo etc. Some babies start speaking mama, baba, dada by 9 months of age other say this by 12 months of age.
I won't get overly worried as the red flag sign(age at which one should start investigation if particular motor, verbal or social development is not achieved) for bisyllable like mama, baba, dada is 12 months.
Now a days speech development is delayed because of use of electronic gadgets and nuclear family.
I would like to go for screening hearing test if not done earlier. Very rarely speech delay can be due to hearing defect (unlikely in your case). Also try to interact more and more with baby as this is important for speech development.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 12 hours later
Hi doc, Thank you for the valuable comments. He had his initial hearing screening at birth & it was all ok. He does respond to his name & all songs & sounds. He makes random bi-syllables which are meaningless now & then. My worry was that he does not refer me by any specific name / word. Hope it is ok.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
I won't get worried if hearing test is OK

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

I won't get worried if there are no other significant issues and hearing test is OK.
I suggest you to interact more with the baby and observe for the milestones.
Wishing good health for your baby
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad