question-icon

Does smoking weed affect the action of Clomid?

Posted on Wed, 26 Sep 2012
Question: I am wondering does smoking weed have an impact when taking clomid. Can it stop it from doing its job of making a woman ovulate. I have had my first month on clomid and still smoked cannabis and I am also a couple of days late when for the last four months i have been regular with my period to the day. but i do not think that i am pregnant. Can cannabis actually stop eggs being released?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR (4 hours later)
hi,

cannabis acts centrally as we now,
according to some studies it can affect the menstrual cycle and ovulation, can cause delay in ovulation and also amenorrhea by affecting the brain centers which will produce necessary hormones for menstrual cycle,
means hypothalamus and pituitary produce regulatory hormones for menstrual cycle, so cannabis by acting on them can alter the cycle, and also ovulation,
as these effects are reversible if you are on infertility treatment better to stop cannabis for sometime till having a child.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN