• question-icon

Does smoking cause brain tuberculoma?

Posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Sir,

Im XXXX, On July 31st i had an operation for Brain Tuberculoma, had only one lesion.
My doctor said i'm alright now , as it's been removed properly. I had couple of questions. I was a smoker, not a hevay though , 2-3 in a day that's it. Was this a reason for tuberculoma , as i never had any symptom for it , suddenly i got a sezuier when i was in my office ,my friends addminted me in hospital, then we found that it's tuberculoma.

So sir i just wanted to confirm if smoking was the reason , or is there any other resaon too, as i had never any issues with my health prior to this and sir if i smoke again , will i get the seizures again as i only got one in my life and it lead to tuberculoma.

Thanks In Advance Sir.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Smoking will not cause tuberculoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

Smoking will not cause tuberculoma.

This TB infection can result in individuals with immune system dysfunctions.But it can also occur sporadically individuals with past medical history of TB.

Tuberculoma can lead to seizures and vice versa is not true.

The possibility of recurrent seizures exists, but it is very low.

Antiseizure medication, if prescribed can lead to resolution of seizure focus if any.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu