Does smoking and drinking reduce effects of stamlo D and is discontinuation of the drug advisable?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 28 yrs old male. I have been taking stamlo D for 2 months as I was detected having blood pressure of 140/100. I want to inform that I smoke 3 or 4 cigerates a day and take more or less 200ml of whisky each day to stay out of stress 'coz I am working as a design engineer in an engineering firm in which I have to take much work stress. I also bought a digital BP measuring machine to check my BP at home. But still after taking two months of medication (stamlo D), I monitored my pressure to be sometimes 150/100 or sometimes 130 /85. Due to this a question arosed in my mind "does smoking & drinking reduces effect of stamlo D?". I cannot actually get which result is correct. It is a common saying that HBP medicines once started cannot be stopped. Main thing is I want to discontinue my medicine. Can I stop taking stamlo D at this stage. Please help me out.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Don't discontinue / Change drug... Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic At this age, secondary causes for hypertension need evaluation Every attempt should be made to find a curable cause, even though the chance of finding one is not high STAMLO-D has amlodipine 5 mg, hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg. The effect is not reduced by tobacco and alcohol You should NOT stop the drug. Blood Pressure is a silent killer and the effects can be mitigated by proper treatment. Heart, brain, kidney and eyes are the target organs - that will be damaged from long term pressure rise The drugs and their doses have to be tailored to every individual As a matter of fact, you have to increase the dose of amlodipine (10 mg is the maximal dose) / OR add a third drug / OR change to a different class of drug Tobacco and Alcohol are bad by themselves / worse, in combination with pressure You ought to try to stop these two! Psychological assessment and assistance, yoga, biofeedback are far better and safer than alcohol –for management of stress Discuss with your doctor. The treating doctor can suggest further based on his assessment of the situation. Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless