Does slow paced feeding of an infant normal?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My baby 20days old and he takes more than an hour for each time feeding and ends by sleep. Is this normal??
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is normal in this age group - don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. But you need not worry. This is a normal phenomena in this age group.

As long as the baby is feeding well gaining weight well and passing urine at least 4 to 6 times per day and of normal quantity, you need not worry about feeding pattern.

The most important thing is the activity of the baby, when the baby is awake and the acceptance of feeds. If these are good, you need not worry about the feeding pattern at all.

I need some information so that I can guide you even more better.

1. What is the exact date of birth of the baby?
2. What is the birthweight and what is the exact current weight of the baby?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Does slow paced feeding of an infant normal? 1 hour later
DOB: 07.12.2017
Birth weight : 3.9kg
Current weight : 3kg
Dont know why this loss happend.
Intially he was in antibiotic for 5 days amoxycilin.
This might be the side effect?
Im worried about his weight.
Im trying to increase milk supply bu taking supplements.
Is this ok to feed the baby with cow's milk ( desi) once daily?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baby feeding suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi... sorry for the late response. Our website was down and hence I am late in responding. I actually asked for the details of the current weight and the birth weight because, what you are telling is very much expected. eEvery baby loses 10% of the body weight and regains it in the initial 10 to 14 days. So do not worry about the baby's loss of weight.

This is not because of antibiotic, but at the same time you should not be using antibiotics without proper indication and evaluation.

I suggest you get back to me in another 15 days with the current weight of the baby then and then we will reassess the situation. Till then I suggest you to give only exclusive breastfeeding and do not feed any top feeding on cows milk.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Does slow paced feeding of an infant normal? 45 minutes later
Antibiotics was suggested by Peditricia because of infection from the 5th day after he born.n

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics are not the reason for weight loss - it's physiological

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand that, but what I am trying to say is antibiotics are not the reason for weight loss and they should not be used indiscriminately without the proper indication. Hope you understand.

Please get back to me if there is any other further query I will be glad to help.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Does slow paced feeding of an infant normal? 2 hours later
I have one more concern, with the mentiomed condition previously my bsby passes urine 2-3 tomes dsily and no stool passage since a week.

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is normal and physiological don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi... thank you for getting back. I again reassure you that this is also normal, don't worry at all. This is completely physiological.

Breastfed babies may pass motion 10 times per day or even 10 days once. If the baby is active and feeding well and passing urine normal quantity, then you need not be worried about the baby at all.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth