Does sleeping pills cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: erectile dysfunction.do sleeping pills cause erectile dysfunction?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Sleeping pills can cause erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction can be caused due to a variety of medication and chemical substances like:

- anti-depressant medication, especially those belonging to the classes of SSRIs and TCAs
- sleeping pills, like benzodiazepines (clonopin, xanax, etc.)
- blood pressure medication
- diuretics (i.e. water tablets)
- certain medication used for neurological disorders, like Parkinson's disease medication
- alcohol, cigarettes and other substances of abuse

So, if you are taking sleeping pills frequently or habitally, then it is better to have a consultation with your doctor to help you come off them.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist