Does simvastatin and exoxaparin sodium cause abnormal liver function test?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Do simvastatin & Exoxaparin Sodium have neg. liver func. tests? - many other drugs on board.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Exonaparine soidum rarely cause liver function test abnormality. Simvastatine is known to cause LFT elevation and sometimes it may be a reason for discontinuation of this drug. However,you should stop taking it only if there is significant LFT elevation (three times normal) and if simvastatine is the only cause of elevated LFT. Many other drugs can have thise side effects too such as antidepressants. Also, you should always rule out nonmedical cause of elevated LFT such as fatty liver, gallbladder issue or hepatitis. But as I said if ALT and AST are less than 100 and bilirubin level is normal, you dont have to be concerned. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards