• question-icon

Does shaving hair help in altering hair follicle drug test results?

Posted on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hello, I have a hair follicle test coming up later this month or early next month for a good job. I was a chronic smoker of marijuana for a year or so but quit back on April 8th. Have not touched it since then. 20 days later i went ahead and shaved my head down to a zero. After the 40 day mark i started purchasing the walgreen thc strips and have already tested negative with about 10 different ones. My question is with the new growth on my head should it be clean hair? They say hair grows 0.5 inches per month but my hair grows pretty fast as it is already right at an inch already. Could it be safe to say maybe I will pass this test.Other doctors have told me that thc does not bind well to the hair very well or that the hair test is less sensitive to detect thc. Also I heard once it is out of your blood then it will stop going into the follicles.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test may be negative

Detailed Answer:

Shaving hair may not be a effective in altering the test results. As the test involves determining the presence of metabolites of TCH in the hair follicle but not the hair shaft, If you shave only the shaft is cut but the follicle remains intact in the scalp.

Considering the time since you stayed away from the marijuana, you may be tested negative and you would pass the test for sure.

Yes, you heard it right the test is not as sensitive as to identify small traces.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T