question-icon

Does severe stomach pain after eating food need medical attention?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: I have had 2 nights of severe stomach pain in 2 months zantax or food doesn't help gets worse over time I don't drink smoke or over eat last night I took a valium left over from a dental appt. and it worked I felt like I needed a muscle relaxer. What is this almost went to emergency pain is that bad
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Proper diagnostic is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If this is upper middle abdominal pain, the most probable reason is peptic ulcer. However in some cases stomach cancer can give exact symptoms.
As the pain is lasts for a long time, does not get better, the condition causing it can not be ignored.
You need a proper diagnostic. Please visit your doctor. Abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be done at first. Gastroscopy is a second step.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon