Does severe pain near the temple require medical attention?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had 3 very sharp pains (about 3 hours apart) which last approximately 30 seconds to 45 seconds in the soft area of my left temple. Should I be concerned or is this normal for a simple explanation?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Can be nerve pains, monitor for any rash.

Detailed Answer:

We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, the shooting episodic nature of the pain in the area you specified can be due to nerve pains.

Though doesn't seem to be alot of concern at this moment.

Sometimes some nerve inflammation whether due to infections like herpes or autoimmune may present like this but in that case some superficial rash has to be present alongside the pains.

Other possibilities like vascilitis or any other mass lesion is too early to be considered.

You can monitor the area for any ongoing rash in the next few days. Blood pressure record should also be kept.

If pain recurs repeatedly it may need to be reviewed by your primary care physician to consider for CT brain or blood work up like ESR, and ANA.

Meanwhile OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can be used for symptomatic relief if pain persists or recurs.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana