Does sebaceous hyperplasia indicate Lynch syndrome?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hello -- I was wondering if you often see cases of your patients having numerous Fordyce spots inside their cheeks and also on their lips? I have numerous spots in those locations (and I also have sebaceous hyperplasia on my face, as diagnosed by my dermatologist), and I unfortunately consulted "Dr. Google" regarding the same and ran across some information indicating the fordyce spots could be a marker for Lynch Syndrome (although I understand they are quite common and benign). Thank you so much for your input and (hopefully) reassurances that the spots do not mean I have Lynch syndrome (I just had a screening colonoscopy done and it was clean). Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous hyperplasia does not indicate Lynch syndrome..

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the query, I can understand your concern..

Well, Sebaceous hyperplasia or Fordyce's spots is a very frequently seen condition and it is seen in a large number of population without any complications.

On the other hand, Lynch syndrome is a condition that increases the risk of colon and other types of malignancies but it is mainly hereditary.
If you have inherited the altered gene then only you are at a risk..

As your Colonoscopy was already normal you need not to worry about it too..

But if you still want to confirm about Lynch syndrome, you can undergo Genetic testing to rule out whether you have the altered gene or not that causes Lynch syndrome..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 14 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer Dr. Arora!

So is it safe to say that there is no definite proven association between having fordyce spots and hereditary cancer syndromes like Lynch Syndrome? Unfortunately, I've been suffering from health anxiety which I have made worse by googling these conditions :(

Thank you again for your kindness!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, nothing serious..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes, Fordyce's spots does not need to be related to cancer syndromes and it can be more of anxiety causing the fear..

Do not worry and if you wish to get confirmation get a Gene testing done..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy