Does scarlet fever as a child cause heart problems as an adult?

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Is there any connection between scarlet fever as a child and heart problems as an adult?
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scarlet Fever

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Scarlet Fever is a bacterial infection. It is caused be the same bacteria that causes Strep Throat. It is typically treated with antibiotic, just like Strep Throat. If it is not treated, however, there is a possibility of developing Acute Rheumatic Fever. This canblead to heart problems.

So in answer to your question, yes, it is possible to develop heart problems as a result of untreated Scarlet Fever.