?Does scabies spread without skin contact?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have NOT had prolonged skin contact with anyone in the past three months (and more).... yet the doctor says that I have scabies. How could I have gotten scabies then?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
scabies can occur by clothes and linens.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for scabies diagnosed in yourself.

After reading your query with diligence I would go with the diagnosis of your doctor.

To tell you medically scabies can also spread by clothes, trivial contacts on beds, linens and non living objects other than skin to skin contact.

So anyone can get scabies by various means other than skin to skin contact. I do agree with you that it is most commonly the skin to skin contact which causes scabies. But as I said I have seen so many I the cases where scabies can occur other than this.

Overall you should not be worried about this simple thing as it is treated in single application of permethrin lotion applied overnight.

Do not forget to iron all your clothes from inside and washing all the linens.

I hope these informations will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY