Does same blood group affect pregnancy? What are the precaution to be taken?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Both wife and husband having same blood group ,during pregnancy do we need to take any cautions?? And also let me know the problems if we both have same blood group?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your wife's past obstetric & medical history in detail.

In pregnancy, Rhesus type (D+/-) of mother is more significant than blood group of both father & mother. I want to give certain explanation according to variation in blood group & Rh type to understand properly. These are as follows:

1) Same Blood gr (A,B,AB,O) & Same Rhesus type (D positive/negative) should not create any problem at all during pregnancy. It just means that your child will share the blood group of both parents rather than just the one.

2) Same Blood gr for both father & mother but Different Rh type- Father D negative and Mother D positive, should not causes any harmful effect to baby in conceiving.

3) Same Blood gr for both father & mother but Different Rh type- Father D positive and Mother D negative, should causes harmful effect to baby due to Rh factor incompatibility particularly in 2nd pregnancy with escaping 1st pregnancy. Here mother’s and baby’s blood come into contact during childbirth and her body produces antibodies against the baby’s blood, causing hemolysis & Intrauterine Fetal Death in severe cases.
In this situation, mother is given injections of anti-D, which coats the baby’s Rh-positive cells and protects against the manufacture of antibodies.

You may discuss with your consulting obstetrician regarding this and continue prescribed medication as recommended.

Do some basic things to prevent miscarriage:
1) Complete Bed Rest up to 16 weeks
2) Continue Folic acid supplements and Protein XXXXXXX diet.
3) Avoid long journey/heavy work/stepping uneven surface/high heel shoe.
4) Avoid stress/anxiety/emotional upset & maintain personal hygiene.
5) Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health.
Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E