Does saliva transmit hepatitis C?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: i accidentally used my fathers toothbrush for about 30 seconds who has hepatitis c but he says its dormant in his body...i quickly took out the brush after realizing it was his and thoroughly rinsed with listerine afterwards to kill any germs, he has dentures and says he only uses it to clean the dentures and rarely puts it in his mouth but even if he did put it in his mouth recently am i ok?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Saliva is not known to transmit Hepatitis C

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

The hepatitis C virus spread via blood.It can be transmitted by sexual contact
but it is not spread through water, food or touching.

Hepatitis C can be transmitted if the blood of someone who has hepatitis C enters your bloodstream.

As you have not touched blood of your father the chance of getting hepatitis C from your father is not possible.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj