• question-icon

Does renal function improve after ureteral reimplantation surgery for congenital urethral tract obstruction?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My son 18 mo. Old has a uvj obstruction . His right side and is scheduled for surgery aug 29. A renal gram done yesterday showed is right kidney fumction at 30% his previous function was 50-50 6 months ago. My question is once the urital reimplatation surgery is done what will function increase back too? And how long will it take to get there?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kidney function will definitely improve to near normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your 18 months old son has congenital obstruction of the lower ureter and he is scheduled for surgery of Ureteral Re implantation.

There is no doubt that his Renal function will definitely improve to near normal as good as left kidney within few (4-6)months after surgery.

Please go ahead and get the surgery done.

Hope I have answered your query, please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later
have you yourself ever done this type of surgery on a young child?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes I have done such surgeries in my 42 years of practice

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

I routinely do such surgeries and can authentically say that results of surgery are gratifying .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Ok thats nice to know. What are things to expect after surgery? How long will it take for him to bounce back and act himself again?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infants usually do well and recover within a week.

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Infants usually do well and recover fast after surgery compared to adults and take a week or so for complete recovery .

Thanks and Regards
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
will the surgery relieve the swelling in his right kidney and if so how long will it take to do so?. and will the kidney cortex expand back to size because now it looks thin on the ultrasounds
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes kidney cortex will recover slowly over a period of 6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Once the Pelvi Calyceal system is deobstructed by surgery there is free drainage of urine and relieves back pressure on kidney .

Nephrons which constitute chunk of kidney cortex gradually recover and regenerate and attain almost normal size over a period of 6 months to one year.The swelling of the kidney is bound to come down .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 54 minutes later
im not doubting you but everything ove read and heard says the nephrons do not regenerate?? ive always heard that kidneys unlike the liver does not build itself back?? please explain
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not a diseased kidney

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
There is no paranchymal disease of kidney ,There is a back pressure change (Thinning) in cortex due to mechanical obstruction to flow of urine and it is not diseased kidney Once this obstruction is relieved by surgery the flow of urine from kidney in to bladder is restored and thinned out cortex becomes normal and start functioning like its counterpart. .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
thsnk you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
O.K Bye

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you .and Good bye
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist