• question-icon

Does regular use of Advil PM cause kidney damage?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I would like to know if Advil PM or Advil can be damaging to your kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
For how long have you been taking this? How much quantity daily?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I will like to know for how long you have been taking and how much dosage you take daily. While taking advil for a long time can be damaging to the kidneys, this is simply not the case when used for only a few days.

Let me hear from you on this: Dosage and duration.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 hours later
I have been taking Advil PM as a sleeping aid two capsules each evening for several months. I occasionally take one Advil for pain relief of a bad knee during the daytime hours, when I am going to be required to walk or stand for any period of time.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will suggest that you control your kidney function!

Detailed Answer:

I will suggest that you get a baseline kidney function test. This will guide me to say whether continuing with this necessary or not.

I hope to hear back from you!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
I have visited a kidney specialist and he has ordered test to be conducted in August, but highly suggested that I stay off of all Advil products until after the tests are performed. Thank you for your input.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

Did he not do any test before making this recommendation? Why must he wait up to August before getting the baseline values? Like I mentioned, excess use can harm the kidneys but my advice would be guided by the current state of your kidneys.

Keep me updated about this when you get the results back.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
He had received information from my cardiologist on test that had been taken, and I believe he wanted me off the Advil for a period of time before new tests were taken to see if they would be different which made sense to me. I have confidence in this new kidney doctor, who is highly recommended and has years of experience. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
That's sensible!

Detailed Answer:

This means there are already some numbers out there that they are looking at. I Will concur that you stay off the medications if the values are not the best. Also, other pain medications and sleep aids with no impact on the kidney can be used in the interim.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah