Does radiation help kill cancer cells in a cyst?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Cancer
Question: My Mom has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The cancer is arising from an IPMN cyst. A radiologist is advocating the Cyberknife radiation. Another specialist says radiation will not work on a cystic tumor because it is not a solid mass. So that's my question - does radiation help kill cancer cells in a cyst? If the cancer cells are lining the walls of the cyst will that negatively impact the effects of radiation.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
high-dose of x ray radiation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since your mom is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer radiation will help kill cancer cells in a cyst.

CyberKnife radiation is a noninvasive alternative to surgery for treating cancerous and noncancerous tumors anywhere in the body. CyberKnife delivers beams of high-dose of x ray radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy, offering hope to patients whose tumors were previously inoperable.

Since the cancer cells are lining the walls of the cyst it will not negatively impact the effects of radiation.

Hope i have answered your query

DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad