Does pulmonary embolism require consultation?

Posted on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i did the symptom checker and it came up pulmonary embolism as #1- I thought I might have pulled a muscle but taking nsaids has not helped. I pain is when I move a certain way but just sitting hear it feels like I can't breath normally- should I wait to get in to my GP tomorrow ?

Hi -
Just checking to see if my question is being worked on?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If you feel that your symptoms are intense, rush to the ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Although I do not know your complaints as of now, I doubt whether you could be having pulmonary embolism. That is because if you indeed have pulmonary embolism you would not possibly be in a position to be asking a question like this.

I would request you to elaborate on the complaints you have. Based on that I would try to help you out. However, if you feel that you are out of breath, and if you feel that you have an acute condition, you should rush to the ER. If the condition does not seem so critical, you can let me know the complaints and I would try to help you out. Thereafter you can still get in touch with your GP tomorrow.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 minutes later
Ok - the tender to the touch pain is along a rib section on my back - itnis brestj tsking pain in a variety of movements and siting here justing breathing but not chest pain - ive been remjndjng myaelf to breathe normal as its etting me i to ahorter breathes
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Based on the description it seems that you have a muscle spasm. Taking Aleve (naproxen) 500mg when needed (preferably in full stomach) should provide relief. If the condition does not improve it would be a good idea to visit the ER.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha