Does prolonged intake of Nabumetone cause negative affect on kidney function?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can regular use (1000 mg/day) of Nabutome (Relafen) negatively affect the function of the kidneys? I have experienced no side effects over the 85 years I have taken this medicine following double knee replacement surgery. However, I was recently hospitalized in XXXXXXX (my home is in Texas) from what was diagnosed as pseudo-gout in my knees, and my creatinine reading on entering the hospital was about 2.8 ---- but after about 3 days in the hospital and plentiful hydration, that reading had come down to 1.6, about my regular reading (I know that's above the "normal" upper limit of 1.4, but I have always had a reading of about `1.5-1.6, even before the knee replacements in 1998). So, I am now wondering if the Nabutome use had any effect on my kidneys and somehow contributed to the high creatitine reading ---- or if that reading was just somehow just a side effect of the lack of proper hydration when I entered Colorado's high altitudes. I want to continue with the Nabutome if it's not harmful to my kidneys.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
in this case, it seems that dehydration was the main problem

Detailed Answer:

it's true that nabumetone and any other NSAID may cause renal problems, including a rising creatinine level. 1000mg per day is not a high dosage but NSAID may cause renal problems even when the dosage is not high.

Since your creatinine level was reversed with proper hydration, it seems that you were severely dehydrated. Otherwise the creatinine level would have stayed in higher levels than 1.6. Please note that 1.6 is not a 'slight' elevation. It means that a lot of your kidneys' potential is lost. Also please remember that dehydration and NSAID use is a bad combination for the kidneys because it makes the blood flow to the glomeruli (little filtering units inside each kidney) more difficult.

Using NSAID when the kidneys are already in a bad shape is not recommended, provided there are alternatives. If paracetamol is effective then you shouldn't take NSAID anymore. If it's not the adding an opioid may also help. You can discuss this with the orthopedics specialist.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!