Does prolonged intake of Lubowel have any side effects?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi i have been suffering from constipation and anal fisures since last year..doctor prescribed me lubowel 8 capsules 3 times a day i get much relief from that .when i stopped this medication i constipated again.hard stools and fissures.can i take lubowel again please tell me.. is lubowel safe for long term use..
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can start, use different laxatives, diet adjustment, no stress

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Age and Gender (please mention) - No information about Visit to a Doctor and Medications tried - H/O Constipation and anal fissure sine last year - Doctor prescribed Lubowel (Lubiprostone) 8 mg three times a day - much relief - on stopping Lubowel constipation, hard stools and fissure again - wants to know whether Lubowel can be taken again and about long term safety ...

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- First of all start Lubowel again in the same dose (with consultation of your Doctor as it may need a prescription and you get a clinical evaluation and examination.
There are no mention of long term studies and since it is indicated for IBS-C and constipation, Chronic Idiopathic and Opioid induced constipation, it is meant to be used long term. Not aware of the safety studies and will let you know the moment I get to the root of it.
- The person with chronic constipation with anal fissure should try different laxatives at different times so that the effects of various medicines are known to find out which is the most effective one for you and can use different ones at different times so that you do not become dependent on one only.
- Also needed is to find the foods, additives, beverages and any other conditions that cause the constipation in your case. And to avoid all such thing.
- To find the foods that helps you to pass normal stool, like ladies fingers (Bhindi), green leafy vegetables, salads, high fiber diet, and to consume such foods only.
- Take adequate amount of water.
- Sitz bath in a tub with warm water before and after passing stool.
- Strict avoidance of anything that causes stress and/or anxiety.

All these points will help you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.