Does prolonged Replesta intake affect the kidneys?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Would taking Replesta (50,000 U Vitamin D) weekly for a long period of time affect the kidneys?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may cause renal insufficiency. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Vitamin D3 deficiency have been taking Replesta (Cholecalciferol) 50000 I.U units per week. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1)What is your level of Serum D3 ? Normally Cholecalciferol is taken on weekly basis of 50.000 units per week and once the desired normal level of 30 ng/ml is achieved one has to shift to take Vit D3 in oral form to maintain the normal level.Usually 1500to 2000 units taken in oral form is sufficient to maintain normal level. As regards your query about side effect of Replesta on kidneys .It is proved to have side effect of renal insufficiency if taken for a long period of time in higher doses in injectable form. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX At this point, I have not had a level done in over a year, but I was told by my doctor to continue the $50K/wk because she was concerned about me low level and getting osteoporosis. I have osteopenia in one hip and some loss of bone density in the lower back. Prior to taking the Replesta, I had taken a prescription Vit D for my low D levels. I don't think my level has ever been as high as 30.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please check your Vit D3 level. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up.Normally desired level of 30 ng gets achieved after taking 50000units of D3 every week in injectable form for 10-12 weeks then you have yo continue to take D3 in oral dose of 5-6000.units The osteoporosis and loss of bone density that you have is ageing process . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.