Does poor thyroid function affect conception?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello i had donor egg ivf on 12/07.I had a positive pregnancy test in beta hcg. the leve was 21. i was also prescribed progestron and sidnfill tablets and injections. but on 31/7 the hcg test came negative with levels below 2. my thyroid levels were 6.79 with elveted t4. I had asked doctor before uch and again on 24/07 if u should get thyroid tested but she said do it on 31 st only. How often should thyroid be tested while ivf. also i read somewhere about chromozonal defects in sperm can cause ivf failiure what can be the test to find it out before we go for next attempt.normally his sperm count has normal levels.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hysteroscopy and PGS required

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Success rate of IVF with donor oocyte is around 50 percent only. Only way to understand if embryo is chromosomallly normal is to get PGS (preimplantation genetic Screening) of embryos to know if embryo is healthy and chromosomallly normal.

PGS will assess the chromosomal integrity of embryo and all doubts can be laid to rest.

Thyroid can be tested every 2 months to confirm if there is normal level or dose adjustment required. Better to check again before starting IVF cycle.

Hysteroscopy is another test required to check uterus and if there is some abnormality like fibroid or polyp leading to miscarriage.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 59 minutes later
thanks for the answer i should consult with my doctor about the tests also i would like to know that my weight is 75 now i have 6 weeks before next attempt . can i take up boxing as it helps me to relieve my frustration and anger. will it affect the chances of conceiving naturally. i dont intend to do it for more than 15 minute daily along with suryanamaskars. also i haven't got my periods yet i have been off medicines for a week now only light bleeding happened twice.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can exercise

Detailed Answer:

Calming your mind and letting go of your past is best way for peace. Focus on the success needed at the moment.

However if boxing helps you, go ahead with it.

You will have varia in bleeding pattern for couple of cycles.