Does physical therapy worsen shoulder pain?

Posted on Sat, 9 Jul 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For " Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal ", Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can you please tell me if physical therapy will do more harm than good for my shoulder pain. Your thoughts that my pain is post viral arthralgia makes so much sense. Not only did I have an intestinal virus in March, but then I stopped drinking until I realized I was becoming dehydrated. PT is concentrating on stretching exercises treatment and on two occasions the result was 48 hours of severe pain the next two days and it seemed like steps backward in my progress. I do not want to harm my shoulders and I have no idea what their choice of treatment is based on. Monday went well but then yesterday morning right to now has been so painful and with pain going down to my elbow on the right arm (I am right handed). With your thought on my shoulder pain, could physical therapy and stretching cause my shoulders harm and create new problems? Thank you again, so much. I can't wait for my life to move beyond this episode. I am grateful for your concern and your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop physical therapy for a few days.

Detailed Answer:
Physical therapy can fatigue your already fatigued muscles. You can start the therapy gradually and make sure that you are well hydrated before that. Do take plenty of electrolyte rich oral fluids like Garotade.
Since you are having an acute pain now it is better to stop the physical therapy for a few days and resume later once you start feeling better.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon