• question-icon

Does phototherapy have any adverse effect on a new born's health?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: HI We recently had a baby. He was born on 24th Feb and birth weight was 3.31 Kg. His bilirubin level was checked on 26th and found to be 12.7 and his weight on 26th was 3.06. Doctor advised us to keep monitoring but did not suggested admission.he asked us to get it checked again on 29th. We went again for consultation today (Age 5 days, weight 3.10) and his bilirubin level was 21. We are advised to get the child admitted.
I want to know
1) if 21mg/dl is high for 6 day kid whos weight is 3.1 KG
2) Does phototherapy has any adverse impact on baby health , eyesight considering he will be kept in bright light
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Phototherapy is required and eyes should be covered

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM.
Can understand your concerns.

At day 6 of life 21 mg/dl is high and it definitely require phototherapy.
Child should be kept under phototherapy and daily monitoring of bilirubin levels should be done.
Phototherapy has side effects on genitals and eyes so during phototherapy eyes and genitals are covered.
I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician