Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

182 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does pain on the back after a fall indicate internal bleeding?

Answered by
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 13180 Questions

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Lump
Question: My husband slipped down 6 icy stairs outside at about 3:30pm. He's complaining about pain on his right side on his back seemingly near his rt kidney..applying heat to it seems to help..could it be a bruise on his kidney or a bleed out he refuses to go to er....

Would a cold compress work better for pain?

I'm concerned about internal bleeding more than a vertebrae being out of place
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
various possibilities as external or internal issue .guidelines given .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Warm welcome to
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* There can be various types of effects from this incidence as muscle stretch ,
sprain or internal organ insult in form of swelling or else .

* Internal bleed in kidney represent with substantial amount of pain , blood in
urine and other features , so do not panic at present .

* Recommendations at present

- Alternate application of heating pad and ice pack each for 5 minutes at an
interval of 3 hours .
- Bed rest with home ambulation .
- Avoid sleeping on right side .
- Maintain his hydration with plenty of liquids .
- Give narrated medicines every 6 hourly after meals preferably with antacids as
Ranitidine .
- Local application of analgesic spray or ointment also helps .

* Watch for any
- onset of fever , vomiting , increased pain , blood in urine
In which case make him to get visit to ER .

* Follow up after 24 hours or early as per the requirement .

Wishing him fine recovery .

Regards take care .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on