Does overdose of eltroxin cause adverse effects in children?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi,Just now read your chat reply for the child who consumed eltroxin. My kid is 1.9 years and 2 days back, he tried opening the bottle and taking the pills in his palm. I immediately cleaned his mouth, few tablets and powder and had come out from his mouth. Later when i checked the tablet count in the bottle there were only 52 out of 60[eltroxin 25mg].I am not sure whether he had taken the tablets or not but precautionary step i wanted to give a gastric lavage.So within few minutes i was told by the pediatrician also to do a gastric salvage. I went to the nearest hospital within 10 minutes and they did Gastric lavage and monitored for 14 hrs. they told me that they could see few whitish substances but they said it could be milk or curd. His pulse rate was normal.He had good sleep.He was discharged yesterday. Today my pediatrician has asked me to do a thyroid blood test, so awaiting for the results. The kid is active, NO vomitting or nausea. He had his regular food and water.No symptoms of over dose.I would like to know if any other check has to be done. Will there be any other side effects on the kid.Please guide me.
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. There is absolutely no need to worry . Your kid has been appropriately treated with gastric lavage and monitoring. 2 days is more than enough for the tablets to get excreted out of the body Your kid has no signs of overdose currently . Relax don't worry about thyroid report . Even if it's abnormal it will settle on it's own. No other test is needed. NOTE : Keep all medicines at home locked in a cupboard for safety. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad