Does over dosage of Trika cause death?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 12 Dec 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello doctor
One of my friend has consumed 15 Trika .5mg tablets...Is this dosage deadly??
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not deadly, but do the treatment fast

Detailed Answer:

Your friend has taken 15x0.5 = 7.5 mg stat. Recommended maximum dose of alprazoloam is 6 mg in divided doses per day that is increased gradually.

If your friend is young and no other physical illness, there is no danger of dying and it is good that you are on the way to doctor.

We used to treat the patients with 10-30 mg dose intoxication.
In most of the cases required supportive management in terms of oxygen and fluid supply. Very few cases required antidote flumazeinil.

If he has taken medicines in last hour, gastric lavage can be useful.

Just keep yourself calm to help your friend for treatment. He/she will be fine.

After he/she becomes normal, treat the cause for taking drug like depression or something else with help of psychiatrist.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 21 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Just as followup question what would be the dosage(mg) which will cause death.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brief Answer:
No specific dose. It depends on many factors

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

There is no specific dose by which we can say death occurs.
Depend upon last intake, age, body structure, weight and co morbid physical illness and concurrent medicines affect the effects of aplrazolam.
20 mg dose can be fatal to 80 year old patient with hypertension and 40 mg dose can be tolerated by 30 year old patient who is addicted and dependent to alprazolam.

So it is individual case cannot be generalized.

Hope I have answered your query. If still any query there, I will be happy to answer. If not, you can close the discussion and if feasible give your feedback so I can improve service. In future you can contact me directly if you wish with this link: http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki

Dr.Chintan Solanki.