Does over dosage of BP drugs cause low pulse rate? How to control the pulse rate?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: IS OVER MEDICATION OF BP DRUGS MAY CAUSE LOW PULSE RATE SAY 50 BEATS PER SECOND, WHAT ARE THE REASONS OF LOW PULSE RATE..? HOW WE CAN IMPROVE LOW PULSE RATE FROM 50 BPS TO 60 BPS..? PLEASE REPLY..
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Certain blood pressure medications cause low pulse rate especially with drugs like beta blockers.
If you could tell me the current hypertension drug you are on I could tell whether or not it has caused low pulse rate.
The improvement in pulse rate will happen once the offending drug is stopped.

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 0 minute later
MY MOTHER AGE 68 YRS IS TAKINGFOLLOWING MEDICINES.........
ERITEL H 80, NICARDIA 20, MOXOVAS,ECOSPRIN TWICE DAILY AT PRESENT. ALL TEST AND REPORTS ARE NORMAL. THEN WHY HER PULSE RATE IS 50 BEATS PER MINUTE ?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the quick reply

There are no drugs that might have caused the fall in heart rate to 50 beats per minute.
Please get her to a cardiologist soon for an ECG to rule out causes like sick sinus syndrome or hear blocks. If ECG is also normal then the ideal person to approach is a cardiologist who is also an expert in electrophysiology.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer