Does one need to wear glasses with refractive error in one eye?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,

My daughter (6.5 years old) have an eye issue and so we consult the doctor.

She has clear vision on her right eye (0) and Cylindrical : - 2.0 and Axis: 165 on her left eye.
Doctor suggest that she should wear the glasses and after 4 months based on the eye conditions, the doctor will start the patches treatment and so on.

I would like to know if my daughter needs to wear the glass or is there any other treatment to cure without wearing the glasses since she is 6.5 years old.

I also want to know it is possible to get normal vision on both eyes in future.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is possible to get normal vision in future.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I reviewed the history and I understand your concern.
From the history it seems your daughter is having refractive error in one eye and the other eye is normal. The refractive error is myopic astigmatism since the refractive power is minus cylindrical.
Unilateral refractive errors will lead to development of lazy eye or ambylopia as the eye with refractive error will lag behind in visual development.
It is very common to see ambylopia in these type of cases when they are seen later in adult life.
I can say that you are lucky as ambylopia can be prevented with correct treatment. Please remember this can be treated only up to 12 years of age. After this age ambylopia is irreversible.

I want to know few more details like
Visual acuity in both the eyes after correction with glasses?
Does any of the eye show deviation called as squint?

The treatment is by correction of refractive error in the eye with refractive error.
If the vision is not improving in the eye even with correction then treatment to correct or prevent ambylopia as to be done.
This is by use of patch to close the normal eye to stimulate the eye with low vision.
The hours of patching depends on the severity of ambylopia. All long with this exercises to stimulate the eye with low vision have to be carried out.

Hence your doctor is correct in saying that your daughter may require all these treatment options. But waiting for four months is not required and it is not advisable as it will delay the treatment further.

Hence the assessment has to be done now only and treatment if required as to be started now.
With proper care she can get normal vision.

Hence do get back to me with details I have requested.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you

With regards

Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 9 hours later
Hi Dadapeer,

Thanks for your reply.

We came to know about my daughter eye problem only on last month.
She never mentioned about the problem with her vision initially and she said suffered with headache and we started consult the child doctor on last year (September 2013) and after various blood tests, the child doctor suggest to visit the eye specialist and last month (June 19th 2014) we consult the eye specialist and he examined and advised her to wear the glasses.

On her right eye Visual acuity is 20/20 (1.00 Decimal) and on her left eye 20/40 (0.50 Decimal). During our visit to the doctor we are not aware of the problem and since we are living in Europe, doctor explained about the problem with limited English proficiency.

My daughter started wearing the glasses only from 1st July 2014 and we asked several time to revisit the doctor but they advised us to visit again only after 4 months (October 2014) and so we are not checked her Visual acuity after started wearing glasses.

As per the standard here (doctor advised) Now the current treatment is to only wearing the glasses and so she is wearing glasses almost full time, Is it enough to wear only the glasses at this stage or she need to do any other special treatments like patches or eye exercises right now? Please give me your suggestions. What is the reason for this problem?

We are very much worried about the current treatment with the glasses and also eager to know if she will get the normal vision (20/20) without wearing the glasses in the future.

Also give your advice if she needs to take any special foods to improve her eye vision.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin A rich foods are good for eye health.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Your daughter is having refractive error in left eye. This is common problem in children and it usually occurs because of some disproportion in the growth of the eye ball. No need to worry as this is a common problem and it can be corrected by treatment with spectacles.

As of now the treatment is by use of spectacles as told by your doctor.
Further treatment depends on the visual acuity after wearing spectacles.
Since she is having refractive error only in one eye with other eye being normal, not using of spectacles will lead to suppression of the eye with refractive error resulting in development of ambylopia. Hence she needs to wear spectacles regularly.
If even after wearing of spectacles the visual acuity is not improving to 20/20, then it indicates some amount of ambylopia and this requires use of patching to stimulate the eye with refractive error.

It is difficult to say whether she will get vision of 20/20 without use of spectacles. The refractive errors tend to change as the age increases in children and some may outgrow the refractive error but majority may continue to need spectacles.

Use of foods rich in vitamin A like green leafy vegetables, carrot... is good for eye health.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 2 days later
Hi Dadapeer,

Thanks for your email.

Now my daughter is wearing the glasses full time a day. I would like to know will it be fine if she not wear the glasses around 30 -60 minutes in a day (less than 1 hour) during playing, swimming?

And also she is watching TV almost 2 hours in a day, this will be any impact?
I read/heard like 3D movies will help to improve the visual acuity, is it true?
Also is there any eye exercise to improve the visual acuity?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
she can remove her spectacles for 30-60 mins.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

She can remove her spectacles while swimming and during other out door sports no problem will occur.
Watching T.V. for 2 hours a day is fine but she should do this from atleast a distance of 6 metres or more.
3D movies will not be of help to improve the visual acuity.

The exercises are not known to improve the visual acuity, however if she is having decreased vision only in one eye even after wearing spectacles, then doing near work like reading, writing... with the eye with less vision after closing the eye with normal vision is known to stimulate the development of vision in the eye with less vision.
If the visual acuity is same in both the eyes after wearing spectacles no further exercises are required.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 39 hours later
Hi Dadapeer,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!
I hope the suggested treatments like wearing glasses at the initial stage and check the eye vision, visual acuity after 3-4 months would be the common treatment.

Please advice me if any other special treatments available in XXXXXXX to improve the visual acuity.

Thanks in Advance.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As of now no further treatment is required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

As of now she requires treatment by the use of spectacles as advised by your doctor.
As of now she does not require any treatment other than spectacles and no other mode of treatment is required.
The next mode of treatment is required only if the vision is not improving with spectacles also. In this case she requires patching of the eye with better vision and stimulation of the eye with lesser vision by ambylopic exercises, synoptophore and so on.

Hence as of now no need to worry and see that she uses the glasses regularly.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj