Does numbness and tingling in the legs require ER consultation?

Neurologist
Question
my mother is 89 and has spinal stenosis. She's complaining of numbness and tingling in her left leg which was able to get better in the last few days. Today it doesn't seem to be getting better. Should I take her to the ER?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to go for ER but neurologist consultation required soon

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Lumbar canal stenosis and root compression may cause numbness and tingling in the involved nerve distribution.
If there is no improvement, medications should be optimised.
Physiotherapy should be done regularly as guided by physiotherapist.
Pregabalin, gabapentin or amitriptyline can be used along with pain killers and muscle relaxants.
Reimaging may be required in case of progression and neurosurgeon consultation should be taken too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist