Does neuropathy cause unbalanced gait while walking?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Would Neuropathy cause me to be unbalanced when walking? What would help neuropathy? What kind of a doctor do you see for this?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A neurologist is the best doctor to see for this!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this neuropathy and the difficulties in balance. Yes, this can be caused by neuropathy because you will lack real time information on the positions of your body leading to imbalance. The best way forward is to identify the exact cause and treat accordingly. There are several different causes of neuropathy and treatment is often tailored to address specific needs. Most commonly used drugs are pregabalin, carbamazepin and a special class of antidepressants. I will suggest you ask your doctor about the possibility of getting one of them as they are not available over the counter.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.