Does myofascial pain syndrome aggravate pain and deformity in patients with scoliosis?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 2 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My question(s) relates to Myofascial Pain Syndrome. Is it possible for a relatively minor muscle sprain/strain to set off a cascade of chronic pain/ active trigger points that not only escalates in intensity, but also causes global pain/TrPs secondary to the initial injury? Additionally, since MFPS cannot be identified by labs, imaging, and many other diagnostic tests, how does a clinician arrive at objective findings consistent with the patients complaints of pain? In other words, how does a clinician objectively quantify his patients symptoms less their subjectivity? Can you point me to scientific journals that may do well at explaining MFPS, perhaps something from PubMed or alike? Lastly, can severe MFPS cause worsening of scoliosis (due to the taught bands of muscle tugging on the spine laterally? I've had moderately worsening scoliosis since the onset of this MFPS in less than 2 years (Comparative to thoracic films). Before you go the differential diagnosis route, all labs, imaging, and neurological tests are absent leads to other diagnosis (Worked up by Rheum, Neuro, etc). I have MFPS and my question is specific to that.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MFPS can aggravate pain and deformity in scoliosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

I understand that the diagnosis can be a challenge at times and all physicians would agree to this.

You can read these articles of published papers on the diagnosis of MFPS

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000

Yes. Myofascial pain syndrome can definitely aggravate scoliosis or hinder in the treatment because of fascial restriction.

Effective treatment of MFPS can reduce the pain and deformity in scoliosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 45 minutes later
Thank you, sir. I do have some follow up questions for you but I am now in bed. I wish to carry on tomorrow if that is fine with you? Additionally, I clicked your name and it didnt give me your CV. I was able to see the physicians CV on other posts, why not here? Again, I will have follow up questions for you tomorrow. Thank you for your prompt reaponse to my initial questions. Very helpful! We will talk soon.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do follow up

Detailed Answer:
Not a problem at all. You can find my information on my Healthcare Magic profile page. There probably isn't a CV as such on this website.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T