Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Does mycoplasma pneumonia cause ear ache and what is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Between May and July last year I had mycoplasma pneumonia. I was given the antibiotic that treats it, Clarithromycin, but because I was not given this in the early stages it had little if any effect. At the same time I also had hepatitis, caused it was thought by the mycoplasma and perhaps also all the pain killers I was taking because I needed a back operation. By August I was well again and my blood tests had returned to normal and I was able to have the back operation for spinal decompression which had had to be postponed.. In September I was again checked for mycoplasma as not all my symptoms had completely gone but the blood tests were still normal. Since then I have got stronger in myself (I am a very healthy 83 yr.old with no other problems) but the slight cough and the earache I have on one side if I lie in bed for long on it are still there. My doctor cannot find anything wrong with my ear and doesn't know what to make of it as I am fine otherwise. I have had this earache ever since I started my illness in early May and am still having disturbed nights because of it. Could this be caused by the mycoplasma even though it appears to have gone? I believe earache can be a complication of the illness.. What can be done about the earache?. The slight cough I have and have had since May is not a problem. It was caused by the mycoplasma.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: ENT specialist s opinion is needed. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The fact that you are experiencing ear ache, considering the fact it started almost about the same time as the pneumonia, could be an indication of spread o infection. This is however very rare. My suggestion is that a proper evaluation of the ear ache be made. A careful ear examination with a good ear visualizing aid (an otoscope) would be of immense importance. An ear infection needs to be carefully excluded for and treated. It is not excluded that the ear pain might also not be related to any infectious process. The opinion of an ENT specialist at this point in time is of utmost importance. Absence of any ear discharge would imply a less complex condition, in case of an infection.Taking simple Analgesics for now like Acetaminophen, or non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Celecoxibs to control the pain could help. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, feel free asking further follow up questions in case of need. I will be honored making any suggestions. DR Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Does mycoplasma pneumonia cause ear ache and what is the treatment? 3 hours later
Thank you for the advice. I should have mentioned that I have no pain in the ear at all during the day or when I start lying on it in bed at night so taking painkillers doesn't seem necessary. It is only when I have been lying on it for an hour or so that the pain starts so I try to avoid lying on that side, but once asleep I turn over that side and then get woken up with the pain. I had hoped over time it would improve and to some extent it has but then it comes back. The pain goes fairly quickly once I stop lying on the ear. I think, as you say, I had better consult an ENT specialist even though it doesn't seem to be a major problem.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: I buy your opinion of seeing the ENT specialist Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the updates. Though not very major now, a clinical review and the ENT specialist s opinion would make us to be more sure and calm. I suggest you book the appointment soon. Kind regards as I wish you good health. Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor