Does mycobacterium avium complex disease affects lungs especially while coughing?

Posted on Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have MAC and I want to know if the lungs hurts especially when I cough/
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: there may be chest pain if pleura is involved. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, I`m sure by MAC you mean mycobacterium avium complex disease of the lungs. It`s a atypical mycobacterim infection generally affecting dtseased lungs, elderly and those who have compromised immunity. The lung disease generally presents as cough with sputum production, blood in sputum, fever, weight loss and generalized malaise. Pain chest is present if there is superadded bacterial chest infection with involvement of pleura. It is difficult to treat and runs an indolent course. Treatment is with 2 or 3 antimicrobials, preferrably like macrolides, rifampin and etambutol. Treatment has to be taken for at least 12 months.
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 8 hours later
Which are the best antibiotics for MAC. I could'n use ETHAMBUTOL because it affected my optic nerve. I think I have MAC in my arms. How it can be detected?
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: MAC is treated with a combination of 2 to 3 drugs. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, MAC infection is treated with a combination of 2 to 3 antibiotics to avoid development of resistance. So far the most superior combination is of macrolide, rifampin and etambutol. Other available drugs are aminoglycoside, fluroquinolones,clofazimine and linezolid. Fluroquinolones and clofazimine should be used as second line drugs(in case of resistance) as their efficacy is less than the other drugs. Since you are not tolerating ethambutol, you must consult your treating physician or your pulmonologist who will chalk out the best combination for you.
Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist