Does my test result suggest kidney failure?

Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Should I be worried that I will eventually have end stage kidney failure if I have:
1 a gfr reading of 61 -it has gone from 81 to 61 in 18 months
2 creatinine reading of 115 and
3 protein in my urine
Could a nephrologist please answer this question
I am a 55 year old male with 113/86 blood pressure and no diabetes and no other risk factors
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
As per the notes given by you, your kidneys are in trouble. You have protein in the urine and fall in GFR.

There is no relation between the rate of fall and the durations. We cannot predict the duration it takes to reach GFR to a level of 15 and below based on the time taken for creatinine fall. The GFR can stay there for several years and kidney disease mostly has got a very slow progression except in some rare situations

I would like to know if you have been diagnosed with kidney disease or not. Because in my opinion you need to answer few questions and need few more tests to confirm kidney disease.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 36 hours later
Thank you for your response.

My doctor thinks I have KD - but I have been referred to a Nephrologist to make sure. However, there is a 6 month wait time until I can see this specialist - hence my questions to you. I am extremely worried and suffer from long standing major depression.

1.Can you indicate whether proton pump inhibitor medication has caused this issue? I have been taking 20 MG of Nexium daily for the past 8 years.
2.Can you also indicate what level of usage of Mobic medication would cause damage to the kidneys?
3.I also am suffering from breathlessness and stinging eyes- is this something to be concerned about?
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
protein in urine and fall in GFR are sufficient to tell that the kidney disease exists in the body. but it won't tell you the reason behind the injury, temporary or permanent , treatable or not, resolves with therapy or not etc. you require evaluation early and I feel that you should not wait till next 6 months and you know that the earlier the diagnosis always the better for any disease
PPI are the most common drugs all over the world to cause kidney injury of all the drugs exceeding even painkillers. it's better to avoid or stop the drug, the other drug I couldn't get what it is and meant for what. in association with shortness of breath etc you better meet your GP and needs to be further evaluated as your BP might be high or may be accumulations water and salt in the body. monitor your body weight also
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju