Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Does my blood report indicate liver or kidney disease ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
I just received blood test results and I am very afraid that I have either liver or kidney damage. I cannot find anyone to read these to me, the Dr. that ordered these will not see me until 12/20 and I need to know, I have the results here if someone can tell me what they mean.
Creatinine, 0.6
Bun/creat, 15.0
Ast, 62
Alt, 83
eGFR 105

Do I have any stages of liver or kidney disease?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Normal creatinine levels are 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL (about 45-90 ╬╝mol/l) for women.
Normal BUN/creatinine ratio is 10:1 to 20:1
Normal results of GFR range from 90 - 120 mL/min.
Normal range for SGPT (ALT) is 10-40, SGOT (AST) is 10-35.

So from your reports it is clear that ALT and AST levels are mildly elevated.

Such mild rise in liver enzymes might be due to alcohol intake, fat deposition in the liver or due to medicines like cholesterol lowering agents, aspirin, etc.

Further investigations like ultrasound scan of abdomen are needed to find out the cause.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor