Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Does multiple accidents without warning cause UTI?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
My five year old daughter has Turner's Syndrome. A week and a half ago we took her in to the doctor's office to see if she had a UTI. She was having multiple accidents at school with no warning. Her urine culture came back negative for a UTI but she is continuing to have accidents again with no warning. Could she have a UTI or should we be looking at something else?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Thanks for your query,

I believe the accidents she has are not related directly to her pre-existing condition.The prime suspect here is UTI unless ruled out by repeat culture test with good sample collection techniques.

UTI can also be caused by agents other than bacteria. Viruses like Polyomavirus, Cytomegalovirus or Adenovirus and by fungus like Candidia albicans ( thrush ), Histoplasma and other protozoans can also cause UTI where the urine culture will be negative.Detailed physical examination can give some clues into further investigations or proceedings.

Other simple causes to be ruled out are constipation , anxiety ,drinks or foods that contain caffeine, which increases urine output and may also cause spasms of the bladder muscle, or other ingredients to which the child may have an allergic reaction, such as chocolate or artificial coloring .

I would consider urine accidents in a 5 year old not much an serious issue but if continues for long then may be needing to be examined and investigated for any kind of structural abnormalities in the pelvis and the urinary tract.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor