Does minor rat bite cause rabies?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: my mom aged 70. diabetic, got a minor rat bite. she was given Hifen-LXX 200 oral antibiotic and administered TT injection as well as Rabies Vaccine. However we do not wish to continue the remaining doses of the rabies vaccine. will there be any problem or side effects if she leaves taking the rabies vaccine doses? we are from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

SHE HAS TAKEN JUST 1 OF THE 5 DOSES OF THE RABIES VACCINE. WILL THERE BE ANY HARM IF SHE DOES NOT TAKE THE REMAINING 4 RABIES VACCINE DOSES?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No harm in stopping anti rabies vaccine

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

In XXXXXXX rat is not a known reservoir of rabies virus and not known to transmit rabies by its bite.

As rat is not known to transmit rabies there is no need of anti rabies vaccine. As your doctor has given TT injection and oral antibiotics will suffice the treatment.

You can stop giving the remaining shots of anti rabies vaccine as there will not be any problem.

Thank You.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari