• question-icon

Does milk of magnesia aggravate tinnitus?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take lithium for depression. Also have tinnitus. I take milk of magnesia and Senokot s for the constipation. Is this ok or am i aggravating tinnitus?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please monitor your lithium level

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description I do not feel there is risk of aggravating tinnitus as milk of magnesia have little interaction with lithium. I understand that both of them are similar but studies are yet to establish any significant interaction.

However it is important to monitor lithium level every month as recommended by various health organisations. In case there is change in dose of anything it is important to monitor lithium after one week of change rather than one month.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist