• question-icon

Does masturbation cause false positive drug test results?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I recently took a urine test for THC, but had masterbated right before hand. Someone told me that, it could cause a problem with the test. A little background: I am a smoker (pot), and have been detoxing. I have been testing negative in my urine on multiple home drug tests. I was wondering if having some semen or spermal fluid in my urine sample could make me test positive. I did urinate a little before placing the test cup under.

Please let me know. I am freaking out now.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this would not have an effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Masturbation would not have an effect on the test results. The test checks for particular chemicals in the urine and this chemical reaction would not be affected by masturbation.

Medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can cause false positives.

If there is a suspected false positive, the test called GC-MS, can be done to clear up any issues. It is highly accurate and used if there is a possible problem with a result

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
If I am testing negative in my urine, does that mean that my semen fluid is also negative?

Is THC present in semen Fluid?

Would the sperm in the urine make protein present in the sample that can cause any issues during the test?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the semen or any other proteins would not have an effect

Detailed Answer:
HI

Proteins would not affect the results, the presence of semen also would not play a role here.

If anything else unclear, can let me know
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Does the semen and semen fluid carry THC?

If so, does it carry THC longer than Urine?

IF I am testing negative in my Urine, does that mean there would not be any THC in my semen and semen fluid?

Can you please address each question above separately? I think this is the last follow up I am allowed. I would also like to thank you whole heartedly for your answers. I really need to test clean and was stupid enough to masterbate beforehand.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
minimal amounts found

Detailed Answer:
HI

(1)the levels in semen and sperm are small

(2)it is normally detected longest in the hair. Because only minimal amounts are found in the sperm/semen, the time for detection is short

(3)they do not separate samples and would not separate a sample into urine and semen/sperm. This means if they do not detect in the the sample then that is it, the sample is not separated to see if it is present in any semen/sperm that may be there at the time
If negative in urine, it is just considered negative, semen/sperm in sample is not assessed

Dr. Michelle Gibson James