Does lung surgery and chemotherapy cause COPD and emphysema?

Oncologist
Question
I'm 70 yrs old, lung cancer survivor service related ( navy- boilerman) asbestos. I'm trying to get a higher rate of disability from the VA, at present they only rate me to 30 % disability. After surgery @ the VA I developed COPD and emphysema. Could the lung surgery and radiation and or chemo treatment have a connection to the copd and the emphysema? This seems to be what they are trying to connect for my appeal. Prior to the cancer I was a pretty healthy man, then down hill from there.
Thank you very much for your time, and any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXX
XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Monish De 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related

Detailed Answer:
Hi
There is no relationship between lung surgery, radiation or chemotherapy treatment with developing COPD and emphysema.
In fact it was seen lung surgery improves life in case of emphysema and also improves exercise tolerance.
COPD is mainly caused by tobacco smoking and air pollution.
Hope i have answered your query.
DR De