Does lowering Klonopin dosage cause any side effects?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was on a dosage of klonopin .75 morning, .5 afternoon,.5 at night .Dr upped my dosage after months of being ill. Increased me to 1mg 3 x aday, I have only been on this dose for 11 days, spoke with doctor about bringing it back down, as I have found out was so ill from needing stomach meds increased. Will i expereince any problem with dropping back down to original dosage , after only 11 days on new dosage.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
taper the dose slowly

Detailed Answer:
HELLO AND WELCOME,

I read your history carefully. KLONOPIN (CLONAZEPAM) dose can be reduced by tapering it slowly.

Ideally 0.125 mg every third day. if its tapered down slowly , you will experience almost no withdrawal effects.

let me know if you have any other query
if not, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

take care.
thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 8 hours later
I seemed to be a little confused my GP said after only 11 days at new dosage, being it had not really taken any effect yet, i wil not expereince any withdraw symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimal withdrawal if tapered slowly

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

Don't worry

If you have tapered it correctly and keep on doing so as instructed in the previous answer, then there would be minimal withdrawal effects.

Do remember you can always go for a slightly higher dose, in consultation with your doctor, if you experience withdrawal symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any query.
If not, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj