Does long abstinence cause birth defects?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: I've been sexually abstinent for about one month and my partner and I are TTC. We are getting ready to try again in a couple days. I abstained with hopes of increasing chances but I've read that prolonged abstince increases DNA damage and reduced motility. What's More concerning is I've read that long abstinence can cause birth defects. We need to have sex tomorrow but she's concerned about this while defect thing. What do you recommend? Is it true this puts us at risk defects if she gets prgnant?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
condition explained

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your query.
I think I would be able to help you.
The fact remains that the possibility of a sperm damage is a real one. However it does not cause reduction in chances of pregnancy .

The idea is that sperm that remains on the testes and epididymis gets old. As it gets old , the changes come about causing the genetic changes. But the testes produces fresh sperm continuously. So it's not like there is no normal sperm.also this normal sperm has a better mobility . So it gets to the ovum faster.

Therefore, while the sperm count increases, and there is a stronger possibility of pregnancy, the chances of old sperm reaching the ovum is not too much.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information helps you. Please feel free to contact us for more information. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 days later
Thanks so much. WhAt about the use of Viagra? Studies show it can cause premature acrosome reactions. Does this mean if a sperm does meet the egg,that it probably has some DNA damage? If it does fertilize the egg, this is nit ncessarily a good thing?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No fetal damage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the response .
The observation is true and the possibility is there.
However, damage to the DNA or abnormal fetus or baby in vagrant users has not been noted .
So damage to the baby is not expected in vagrant users.
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 39 hours later
Thanks we've been having sex almost every other day and it can be painful for her at times. We're explore the needle less syringe option which we've read extensively about. Any tips to ensure we get the most out of this option? We tried it for first time yesterday. My curiosity is how does the sperm make itself Into the cevix when a syring is used and the sperm is not "shot" up from the penis? I know there iis mucus etc, and pressed, but any tips on how to maximize our chances using this option?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
suggestion for better use

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am glad to hear from you.
The fact remains that the needle less syringe option has a limited role. The option is a good one when looking for a not too aggressive measure.
The best way to get the best results are by trying the method after a short period of abstinence for 2 day's. It will give you a better option.

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist