Does left varicocele cause low sperm count and erectile dysfunction?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Sir,
I have Low Sperm Count and Having erectile Dysfunction.Even after 3 yeras have not done intercourse till now due to erectile dysfunction and pre-maute ejaculation.
For past 2 months i have been under medication as mentioned in Current medication Column.
Could you please let me kno what should i do to increase the spercount and to overcome from erectile dsyfunction
I have done Scrotal scan and in the impression it has been mentioned as Left Varicocele does it have any imapct on sperm count
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have Oligoasthanospermia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts and reports that you have posted it appears that you have Oligoasthanozoospermia meaning there by that your sperm count and percentage of active grade one motile sperm is very low as compared to accepted range for fertilization of female egg to effect in to pregnancy,

In addition to it you are also facing problem of Erectile Dysfunction.

Since your blood reports are almost normal You need to evaluate the cause for your ED by doing Color Doppler Ultrasound Scanning of Penis to rule out Vasculogenic cause like arterial insufficiency or venous leak as a cause for your ED .

As regards your query about results of medications that you are taking to increase sperm count I would state that there are no medications that can effectively increase sperm count .None of these drugs that have been available and prescribed by Doctors have any scientific data to prove their claim .

As regards result of surgery for Varicocele it helps in 30%of the patients to increase sperm count .

I would suggest you to consult qualified Infertility Specialist and explore possibility of conception with the help of newly assisted reproductive techniques like IVF or ICSI.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later
Thankyou very much for your suggestion.As you mentioned to do Doppler Ultrasound Scanning of Penis from this result what would be outcomes in the sense whether we would come to know the reason behind ED and take the required Precuation accordingly.
what are the chances of natural conception with the 10 Million sperm Count.
If we do ICSI does sperm count would come in to picture that is can i go ahead with ICSI even though i have low sperm count does success rate decreases if we go with ICSI or does not matter.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doppler Scan will help to rule out Vasculogenic cause for ED.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

The erection is a process where erectile tissue is filled with approximately 120 ml of Arterial blood and this blood is trapped for a while by occlusion of veins in penis that results into hardness of penis what is called as Erection .

Penile Doppler scan reveals whether there is inadequate blood flow to erectile tissue or there is leakage of blood from the veins.If that is ruled out it can be considered to be Psychogenic in nature and treated successfully.

There are almost no chances with sperm count of 10 millions /ml unless some miracle happens .

One requires only one sperm for conception .In IVF or ICSI a few mature sperms are picked up from semen after concentration technique and they are used to fertilise female egg.In fact IVF or ICSI is used in infertile patients with low sperm count .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Thankyou very much for detailed answer.As mentioned by you would be doing Penile Doppler scan and will proceed accordginly.
On concern is that does it have any side effects i do with that test.
As you mentioned If it is ruled out the it can be treated successfully what would be treatments available for the same?

As mentioned by you to go with IVF or ICSI should i try first with ICSI or directly go with IVF.with my sperm count what would be success rate if i go with ICSI and which are best hospitals in XXXXXXX available for the same.
thank you very much for your quick reply
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is always IVF to be attempted first .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .Let the Infertility specialist decide about which method will be proper for you .

IVF is cheaper than ICSI .You can contact Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX of Milann Fertility Center in XXXXXXX She is one of the best in XXXXXXX .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.