Does klor kon medication cause loose stool?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: why would klor kon medication sometimes go through system quickly and come out whole in stool? loose bowel movement at times.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the answer below...

Detailed Answer:

Klor-kon is a medication containing potassium chloride.

You are reporting to have loose bowel movement at times. The use of Klor-kon is also associated with loose stool.

In your case, loose bowel movements might be related to:
- klor-kon use
- heartburn/GERD (as you are taking nexium for that)
- indigestion

So, when you have loose stool, the intestines will empty quickly, thus, the drug is passing quickly and show in the stool whole (without being absorbed).

Generally, the drug consists of the main active ingredient (potassium chloride) and other additives (inactive ingredients) to make it resistant to stomach acidity and help ease absorption.

The main active ingredient is absorbed in the intestines, while inactive ingredients are passing in the stool. Sometimes, when the pill does not contain any active ingredient, but only inactive, then, it will show whole in the stool.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana
Let me know if I can be of further help!