Does intro ocular lens surgery help in treating cataract?

Posted on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I recently heard of Intro Ocular lens surgery as a means to be rid of spectacles. I amd 44 years old, have a power of approximately +3.5 (R) and +4(L), with cylindrical power, plus +1.75 reading power and use progressive lenses. I was given to understand that this IOL surgery will be a fix for the rest of my life and mean that my power will not go up any further. Also, there would be no cataract build up in the future, as it would, on the original biological lens. What is your opinion?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clear lens extraction

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
The procedure is called clear lens extraction.In your case probably a Titicaca lens will be needed to tackle the high cylindrical power you have.
This is another option available,of course there are certain level of risk of complications associated with IOL implantation surgery,which we gladly undertake as a patient with cataract already has low vision.
This is another option to help you out. Many centers are doing it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Thank you, Doctor.
To be precise, here are my eye power details prescribed by the Opthamologist.
Right Eye - Sph - +3.50, Cyl +0.75, Axis 5 deg
Left Eye - Sph - +5.00, Cyl +0.75, Axis 5 deg

Would it be a good option to go in for the IOL surgery? Would it really prevent further increase in power, so that I wouldn't need to wear glasses again or have this surgery done again? And would these lens anyway develop cataract, which would require a repeat surgery?
My doctor eas referring to a latest technology multi-focal lens that's available from the US, costing around Rs.50,000 per lens. I am trying to get different opinions before deciding on it. Kindly advise.

Thanks a lot
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clear lens extraction

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back to me.
This is a fine idea.You will need a multifocal lens,they cost between 25 to 45 thousand a lens,total cost being slightly more,for each eye and you have to have both eyes operated in a short span of time.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Thanks a lot, doctor. And sorry to be bothering you again. I just want to be doubly sure, as it's a question of my sight.
Would ithis replacement surgery really prevent further increase in power, so that I wouldn't need to wear glasses again or have this surgery done again? And would these lens anyway develop cataract, which would require a repeat surgery?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clear Lens extraction

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me.This is going to be an important decision. I would be happy to clear all your doubts.Yes, your power will go away and will not change much.How is your body responding to surgery is the reason why you are supposed to wait for a week or 10 days for second surgery. So if any change is needed can be done in the other eye.

This eye may redevelop cataract and that will need just a small laser treatment. A 10 second job.Get back to in case of any further query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist