Does intermittent brownish spotting indicative of cancer?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am a 27 year old XXXXXXX female. I have PCOS. (Diagnosed at 25 via vaginal ultrasound.) I get a period every month between 27-31 days. My concern is I also get on/off brown spotting about 5 days before almost every period. (One time it was 10 days.) Basically between ovulation and the red menstration Ive had it to some degree for about a year. (Actual menstration is pretty normal. 3-5 days. painful but I can still go to work.) I thought it was normal. But I am concerned about cancer. I also take lexapro and have generalized anxiety disorder. No history of gynological cancer.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PCOS needs lifestyle changes, some more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, I welcome you to HCM virtual clinic.
I have understood your concern and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

First of all do not panic.

As you might be aware that PCOS is a lifestyle disorder. And healthy changes in the lifestyle is the key to handle this problem.
I would like to know, if you have sedentary lifestyle? And do you follow any regular diet and exercise regimen?

Secondly, from your query it appears that you have premenstrual spotting. This happens due to irregular shedding of endometrium- the lining of the uterus.
This can happen due to various reasons like infection or hormonal imbalance.
It can be tackled with medical line of treatment.

Usually, in patients with PCOS there is history of irregular cycles. It is good to hear that you have regular periods.
I would like to know , if you are taking any medicines for regularizing your periods?
And are you on any medicines for PCOS?
Are you sexually active?

Please let me know about these things, this will be useful to help you out in a better way?

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to communicate with me again.

Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 31 minutes later
Hello. Thank you for your reponse! To answer your questions: 1. I do light jogging but a bit irreguarly. I live in Japan (since 2015) and I am a teacher so I am usually always on my feet or walking. I walk about 10,000 steps or more on a normal day. I eat a Japanese diet on the whole but eat Western foods sometimes. I just try not to overdo the portions. I am guilty of eating a lot of sweets but I am 5'4" and about 120 pounds. 2. At this time, I am not taking any medication for PCOS. When I came to Japan, I stopped birth control and my period didnt come for 10 months. I took Planovar every 3 months to force a period, but since XXXXXXX 2016 I have had a mostly regular period. (Occasionally late but never by more than a week) 3. I am sexually active, but have used a condom for every instance of intercourse for 100% of the time. (No condom for oral sex, given or recieved.)
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle changes. Progestogen hormone.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

Thanks for providing the additional information about your health that I have asked for.

1. I will suggest you to opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen. Keep jogging as before, add-on weight training exercise regimen atleast on alternate days. Include more portions of fruits and vegetables and salads in daily diet. Avoid refined sugars and deep fried foods and bakery products in the diet.
Meditate regularly.
Think positive.

2.As your cycles are regular, even without any medications, I will suggest you to seek prescription support from your treating doctor for progestogen hormone tablets like Regestrone two times a day from day 16 to 25 of the cycle for at least next 3 months. This will help to prevent premenstrual spotting and bleeding.Use of long acting form of vitamin B 6 and Folic acid supplementation on daily basis for next 3 months will be of help.

After 3 months you can assess your menstrual cycle pattern, and premenstrual spotting if any.

3. Please meticulously use barrier contraceptive method whenever required. This will help you to prevent unwanted pregnancy and STDs.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please take some time to rate the answers, I will highly appreciate it.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T